L'Artisan Parfumeur and Penhaligon’s are two niche fragrance houses. Founded in 1870, Penhaligon’s is an iconic global perfume brand with incredible British heritage. We strive to create original scents for the discerning eccentrics of today.
L’Artisan Parfumeur was founded in Paris in 1976 by perfumer-chemist Jean Laporte and was one of the first of a movement of exclusive niche fragrance houses inspired by nature and a desire to do things a little differently.
Together, we are an international company with our head offices in London, New York City and Paris. We have stores across the world (UK, France, Asia, USA). We are part of the Puig, the global player in the world of Fashion and Fragrance.
Our remarkable growth has everything to do with our team of talented people. Our people are empowered to take ownership and every person contributes to the success of our business. We are passionate entrepreneurs at heart, curious and fearless in our ever-evolving adventures.
Purpose of Role
As the Commercial Controller you will act as a Business Partner and "Financial Guardian". In this role you will support the organization with financial and managerial information to assist team in making operational decisions. You will apply internal policies, address legal and regulatory related issues in coordination with other head office functions. The Commercial Controller ensures efficient use of local resources (NWC/cash) as well as full compliance with internal policies, external laws and regulations.
· Analyse financial performance; conduct reviews of monthly results and suggest corrective actions to the Head of Finance
· Manage Subsidiary Planning Process; ensure internal coordination and reporting to management stakeholders
· Plan and coordinate with other departments in developing the strategic business plan; coordinate, execute and report to HQ the tasks related to Subsidiary Planning, Budgeting & Forecasting Execute
· Participate in budgeting process: Annual Operating Plan and subsequent reviews (Forecast) for the P&L
· Conduct a Rolling forecast on a regular basis
Month end closing
· Perform all requested validations to ensure the quality of the monthly closing (statutory and analytical) and prepare/review necessary provisions (Returns, one-off accruals)
· Locally support the implementation of Corporate Policies
· Ensure the implementation of Group Financial Policies regarding P&L
· Participate in local committees guaranteeing financial inputs are taken into consideration (i.e. obsolescence task forces, Sales and operations monthly meetings etc)
· Locally support internal audit initiatives and proactively identify weaknesses and recommend corrective actions; become a real second defence line".
Participation in cross-functional projects
· Support projects; profitability analysis on permanent media investments, animation, Fragrance Consultants etc.
· Support local team by sharing financial knowledge and providing Finance for non-financials Training, if necessary
Monitoring results & reporting of results
· Analyse monthly P&L variances versus budget and recommend corrective actions
· Sales analysis, for example sell-out analysis by brand/retailer, gap sell-in sell-out, performance of new launches, reconciliations with Sales Forecast etc.
· Gross to Net analysis and monitoring (price increase, evolution of trade discounts and rebates)
· Gross Margin variance analysis; deep understanding of the Local %GP variances (prices, costs, brand mix, promo-regular mix)
· Advertising and Promotions; deep understanding to support the resources allocation process: media thresholds, cost evolution, media mix, and impact on sales linked to media campaigns
· ROI/post-mortem analysis of promo activities.
· Strict fixed costs follow-up
· Key Account profitability analysis, direct P&L ownership, assessment of horizontal and vertical integration risks
· Local annual objective setting, goals validation and assessment with the Executive Committee
· Regular assessment of risks and opportunities Control
· Prepare reporting to executive team (actual closing)
· Create ad-hoc reports requested by management or Regional Managers
· Prepare presentations for group top management visits, and for the Board of Directors meetings
· Drive local dashboard and all financial reports of local detailed BR liaising with Regional Controller BPO/BI department whenever needed
· Ensure robustness of local internal controls and compliance with Group Policies Desired Skills and Experience
· Previous experience in retail and/or wholesale beauty industry preferable but not required.
· Minimum qualification – CIMA / ACCA / ACA
· Preferably strong user of SAP
· Strong management accounting skills including ability to effectively communicate with non-finance functions
· Multi-site and multi-currency experience
· Excellent Microsoft Excel skills
· Fluent in English, preferably French and Spanish
If you want to be part of the iconoclastic fragrance houses in the world, please apply with your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org including ‘Commercial Controller’ in the subject line of your email.
Due to the volume of applications, only successful candidates will be contacted. If you don’t hear from us after 4 weeks you can consider your application has not been successful on this occasion.
Penhaligon’s is an Equal Opportunities Employer and as such, treats all applications equally and recruits purely on the basis of skills and experience.
We only use agencies when we need a bit of extra help. So unless we contact you, we won’t accept agency applications.