William Penhaligon, our founder, used lavender in many of the early fragrances, including Hammam Bouquet, Blenheim Bouquet and Bayolea which you would not nessarily leap out as being traditionally 'lavender'. Even our Lavandula fragrance is a bold interpretation using a specific high-altitude lavender with it's own distinctive scent.
So for our 145th anniversary we wanted to celebrate this wonderful ingredient that is so intertwined in our heritage. We created No.33, an Eau de Cologne that is based around an aromatic composition of lavender, a new key fragrance for men that also scents a new range of grooming products.
No. 33 opens in an aromatic burst of crisp citrus, rustic armoise and clary sage alongside a bracing lavender note. Incredibly smooth, the heart is enriched by warming pepper, ginger and cardamom and fresh, rosy geranium. Tobacco, cedar and vetiver add a dry smokiness, balanced by the restrained sweetness of tonka, amber and vanilla. A contemporary celebration of lavender in all its bracing charm.
So just why is lavender so important? William Penhaligon specialised in using natural, high quality ingredients in his preparations, this often meant that not only did Penhaligon's products smell good they were good for you too.
Here are 5 facts you may not know about Lavender, which are all reasons we favour it in our formulations;
1. Lavender has often been associated with helping to encourage sleep, in fact it is often used in alternative medicine as a cure for mild insomnia.
2. Lavender is known for it's antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which means it can be used as an effective cleanser to help with acne or problematic skin. Lavender Oil can help restrict the bacteria that can cause acne breakouts and regulate the sebum that blocks pores.
3. Lavender also does wonders for the hair and scalp, restricting sebum in greasy hair, removing dandruff and even taking out the limestone residue in hard water areas that can leave hair looking dull and lifeless.
4. Lavender is an excellent insect repellent and can deter mosquitoes and moths, especially useful during Summer.
5. Lavender is great for relaxing muscles and relieving tension, often used in the bath, a lavender soak can do wonders for a stressed body and mind.