Penhaligon's was founded in 1870 by William Penhaligon, the house encapsulates the English idea of a traditional heritage fragrance house with a dedication to create scented stories. The founder imagined perfumes as references to places and memories. From the original Hammam Bouquet in 1872 – created after the smell of the Turkish baths located next to his first boutique on Jermyn St - to the latest creations like As Sawira in 2015, legacy with a twist is at the core of the history of the house.
Each and every creation explores facets of high perfumery, challenging the traditions of the art and seeking new ways to interpret elegance. Truly English, Penhaligon’s is passionate about ingredients and still manufactures its scents in England using the finest rare ingredients. Penhaligon’s creations are now offered in own boutiques and selected distinguished stores across the world.
Penhaligon’s is honoured to hold two long-standing Royal Warrants; from HRH The Duke of Edinburgh (granted 1956) and from HRH The Prince of Wales (granted 1988).
Our head offices are based in London, New-York and Paris. We have stores across the world (UK, France, Asia, USA). We are part of Puig, a global player in the world of fashion and fragrance.
Purpose of the Role
The Assistant Manager is responsible for assisting the management team with the ability to assume the responsibilities of the Store Manager in his/her absence. Inclusive of all staff, merchandise and customer service.
The Assistant Manager is also responsible for achieving sales objectives, maintaining and achieving high operational and merchandizing standards and goals, building highly motivated teams and developing associates to the next level.
Profit and Sales Generation
• Meet sales goals
• Analyze available sales reports and data to determine the needs of the business and set business strategies
• Set individual sales goals for sales associates, ensuring goals reflect store business goals
• Continuously motivate sales staff to meet assigned sales and productivity goals
• Support the development of associates’ sales techniques, ensuring utilization of fragrance profiling to maximize sales, and ensure selling staff is fluent in all aspects of product knowledge
• Demonstrate sales leadership for staff by playing an active role on the selling floor
• Collaborate with Supervisor
• Ensure all associates provide the highest level of customer service
• Ensure staff maintains constant client communication through utilizing their client books
• Assist in the management of the client database and utilize information to increase sales and client contact
• Resolve all client problems and complaints quickly and effectively
• Assist sales associates with various customer service issues i.e. dissatisfied customers, returns, defective merchandise
• Manage all special events inclusive of collection previews, client events, sale events and center events, etc.
• Empower associates to make decisions in the customer’s best interest that also support the Company’s philosophy
• Assist in maintaining staffing levels and work schedules to ensure appropriate floor coverage while controlling payroll costs
• Collaborate with store manager in areas of risk management, physical security, store cash controls, and inventory management
• Support and assist in staff training in all areas of appropriate register usage and maintenance
• Understand and properly execute all management register functions
• Participate in bi-annual inventories
• Understand and execute cash control procedures including: bank deposits, safe funds, petty cash
• Assist in all merchandising directives and ensure execution of effective merchandising strategies
• Partner with logistics, product teams and supervisor to ensure appropriate assortment for the store
• Ensure the selling floor is neat, clean, organized and reflects the correct visual image at all times
• Ensure presentation of all displays, fixtures and all visual areas are reflective of current visual direction
• Identify and communicate product concerns in a timely manner
• Communicate inventory needs to support the business goal
• Assist in Recruitment, training, and development of staff ensuring all positions are filled in a timely manner with qualified personnel
• Support the management team to implement and provide follow-up for all training programs, seminars, to develop the sales team
• Continually evaluate the performance of each associate and provide constant feedback to ensure results
• Resolve all human resources issues in a timely and effective manner, partnering with HR when necessary
• Ensure integrity of payroll costs and the payroll process. Actively Manages the payroll costs to be in line with the payroll budget, reacting to sales trends where necessary
• Ensure image and grooming standards are professional, reflective of the brand image and adhered to at all times
Desired Skills and Experience
• Proven track record in niche and luxury environment
• Excellent customer service
• Excellent communication
• Really good interpersonal skills
• To do attitude
• Excellent negotiations skills
If you want to be part of the iconoclastic fragrance houses in the world, please apply with your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org including the job title and store location in the subject line of your email.
Due to the volume of applications, only successful candidates will be contacted. If you don’t hear from us after 4 weeks you can consider your application has not been successful on this occasion.
Penhaligon’s is an Equal Opportunities Employer and as such, treats all applications equally and recruits purely on the basis of skills and experience.
We only use agencies when we need a bit of extra help. So unless we contact you, we won’t accept agency applications.